Wednesday, February 29, 2012

We keep Learning, and Learning and Learning.....

Well.... I'm back. It has been a rough few months folks!  But The Ellis' are pulling through. I have had a lot to say, yet I wasn't sure how to say it. There has just been so much to absorb with this cultural change and to be honest I decided in November, after losing Dusty,that I need to pull the ranks in and keep my family going. We have had a lot go on and some  we didn't expect...which leads into the point of the blog today.
As some of you saw in my Facebook post today I was quite upset by a newscast I watched this morning. An expert had come on to the news to explain the American Political Process (the primary elections to be specific).  And I stood there shocked by the words being used. Our political process was called a blood bath - among other things. It gets grittier but it struck me as harsh, not because I am defending the political process, but because the net, net of the whole informational story was to simply say - The American process is horrible, they have gotten what they deserve and that our process here (Canada) is so much better......on and on...... and it all hit me! No matter how much we want or wanted to fit in here, we really don't. There is a huge anti-American movement that lives here in Canada. And it made me sad, because when we started this journey we were ready as a family to embrace Canada and all it was. We came with open attitudes, a basic historical foundation that helped us understand the country ( because contrary to popular thought, I taught Canadian history) and we thought, it would be a great adventure. But, we found out that wouldn't be the case.  We've hit a lot of brick walls and have had some tough realizations that have made us grateful to have each other and to live on this farm. It really has been our saving grace. We have had to accept that I am not employable here - the American thing adds a negative. I love my job at Home Depot, so I am employed so I am referring to teaching here - but in all of my research to teach and any corporate jobs tied in with education are met with road blocks - no interest. Now I have to say, my work family at the Home Depot has been my saving grace really. I really love working there and I love the people. These are some great people, work hard, laugh well and support each other.  There is some good natured teasing about me being an American, but all in all, its been a very positive experience. And I have to attribute that to the fact that we all took time to get to know each other - asked questions, etc. I have made good friends here - and for that I am eternally thankful.  I can see me building a possible work future with this company and I am SO glad that they took a chance on me. But it still is a change, a huge change from teaching. 
 But I hold on to the idea that there really is a point to us being here and we are learning a lot about self and others.  We are at an interesting place - we don't know if the work will keep us here or if we will go back to the states.  And I can't get an answer to that - no matter how hard I try. lol! Here is what I know -  I know who I am and who the Ellis' are. We are good people. And I'd like to think that those who have taken the opportunity to get to know us feel the same.  We have found things here that we love, and we will continue to explore!
I wanted to love it here! I just wish the country as a whole loved having us here. Its humbling, and perhaps a huge character builder. It just hurt really - to be an outcast. So, we'll carry on.... strive to be better and live a good life with what we've got. Make friends here and love the ones we miss at home. The journey continues folks, and THAT is the point really. To take the journey and learn from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment