Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Love Fall!

I love the season of Fall. Don't you? I was thinking the other day about the seasons and all of the changes it brings. The colors, the temperatures, the precipitation. I, however, do miss the mid-western fall colors. So yesterday I went out and bought some. Now, I have the reds and oranges that I have been craving in the house and its great!
This all, believe it or not, lead me to some thoughts about change and empowerment. Now, there's a word that has been over used huh? But, I can't seem to find another substitution. Anyway - here's where I went with this. I empowered a change, simple that it is, to go out and buy the fall colors I was missing. But I began to wonder why that seemed like such a 'kick' to me. Then it clicked - I had made a decision to make a change and I had.
Now, let's move on from fall colors for a minute. Have there been other changes I have empowered myself to do - I could write a long list from small to large - of those. Some were great ones, some I needed to adapt and change. Some were designed by me and others designed for me.  And, then I found myself wondering about people in general, and saying, wouldn't it be great if everyone recognized within them, how they have indeed empowered themselves over the years.
So, take a minute, list them. Cool huh? It almost calls for a coffee chat right? To just sit and talk with someone about all that you have done and they share what they have done. I would love that. To have that conversation.
On the flip side of that, how many of you know someone stuck? Stuck in a pattern or a decision. Its hard isn't it, to see that. But, here's the thing. All you can do is support them. I have learned over the years, that me, myself and I cannot affect a change for someone else. I can only change me. So, while we all have those in our lives that we cannot change, we cannot be held back by them.  You don't have to stop yourself - from exploring and growing.  This doesn't mean you have to shake up your life or anything. Change comes in all sizes. (Then again, if a shake up would be good for you, then change away.) My point is - its OK to feel scared or nervous. But, its also OK to let go and to grow.  One cannot sacrifice themselves for others, including ones self.  It simply won't work, to ignore it. Because, in the long run, like the seasons, it'll come a knockin' whether you want it to or not.
So back to the fall colors. Take a look at a changing tree, if its an option for you.  You have it all on that tree. The golden ones that have already fallen. Some fell with grace, some laughing all the way down and I am sure, some felt sad, that summer was done. Then you have the ones dangling, waiting for the breeze. But so excited to see what its like, to float.
You have the half yellow, half green ones. A bit scared, but accepting what's happening, on their own time You have the all green ones, with gold on the tips. The ones that really liked being on that tree, but yet, are thinking about wanting something different. Then you have those stubborn ones that stay at the top, never fall, and will be a subtle reminder of crisp fall come winter, when you hear them.You know the ones, that turn brown and eventually only fall in the spring when the new bud forces them off the tree.
So, if you could just transport yourself a moment, which leaf would you like to be? Which one are you now? Because, no matter what, they are all an option for you.
Man! I love Fall, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment